Friday, January 4, 2008

sailing dream

I've been trying to remember how long I've been dreaming of going to sea. Fragments of childhood memories of sailing in the Bahamas flit across my mind's eye.... an early-morning watch with no land in sight; dawn awakening on a becalmed sea; moonless crossings with stars by the thousands; dolphins playing at the bow. Those experiences have sustained me during the long years spent away from the water and sailing. How I've wished to recapture those experiences and share them with my family! That Jeanette has proven so seaworthy is a blessing. A summer vacation to Block Island and Newport, RI, was just enough to whet our appetite for more extensive cruising. There's plenty in New England to keep us busy the next couple of years as we refine our plans and sharpen our skills.